Amelia Robinson

Hey there! I'm a student at the University of Kentucky and an aspiring writer. This blog serves as an outlet for all the things I want to talk about that are writing-related. I'll post some of my writing, too, for your enjoyment and critique. Thank you for stopping by! If you'd like to know more about me, feel free to visit here!

Camp NaNoWriMo - Part I

Tuesday, April 2, 2013



Let me give you a little history: I started doing NaNoWriMo back in 2009 and have attempted it every year since then with varied success.  Last year, 2012, I finally got those elusive 50,000 words.  Tracked them down with a bloodhound, hog-tied 'em, and threw them in the back of my pickup truck.

I'd always thought NaNoWriMo was kind of useless.  Ah, the words of a disgruntled loser.  Last year was amazing, and not just because I won.  Even if I hadn't reached my goal, along the way I had grown as a writer.  I was writing every day, even when it sucked beyond all belief and I wanted was to collapse in a puddle of my own tears.

I learned last year that NaNoWriMo is an invaluable tool for me.  (And note that I say for me.  I'm sure there are people who've done it and said, "Well, it was nice, but not for me.")  It got me to sit down and take my work seriously every day, and even if I half-assed it, at least I was getting words down on the page.  I could edit it later, but only if there was something there to edit.  You know the adage "You can't edit an empty page"?  That helped me so much last November.

Unfortunately, I couldn't keep that every day writing routine going outside of NaNo.  I went months not really doing anything writing-wise.  Although there was a two-week stretch at the end of January where I was busting out ideas on the whiteboard outside my room like nobody's bizznessss.  But that spark faded, alas.

That's why I was so, so excited to hear about Camp NaNoWriMo.  Not just hear about it, but be in time for it!  If you're unsure of what it is, it's basically like the official NaNo, but only in April and July.  This was exactly what I needed!

I'm so excited to get started this month.  Back to Essie, Ryan, and nefarious plots and Russian food!

If you're also participating in Camp NaNoWriMo, I'd love to be writing buddies!  You can add me here.  Wish me luck, everyone!  And good luck to my fellow writing buddies!

No comments:

Post a Comment