Amelia Robinson

Hey there! I'm a student at the University of Kentucky and an aspiring writer. This blog serves as an outlet for all the things I want to talk about that are writing-related. I'll post some of my writing, too, for your enjoyment and critique. Thank you for stopping by! If you'd like to know more about me, feel free to visit here!

Reading for Inspiration

Tuesday, June 4, 2013



Read the kind of novels you admire.  The more your mind hears what great writing sounds like, the better equipped you'll be to produce great writing of your own.  - Laura Whitcomb, Your First Novel
I'm a bit skeptical about this.  While I cannot deny the mystical transferring power of reading before you write, I also believe that reading something before you write has a bit of a negative influence.

Haven't you ever noticed that it tweaks your voice a bit?

Isn't this kind of a bad thing?

My working theory is that it's best to read before you edit.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment